The Epson printer in error state can be caused because of a host of problems. Since it is a very generic problem, it is difficult to troubleshoot it. When an Epson printer error state occurs, you will be notified with a message that reads – “Printer is in an error state. Please resolve the error condition for the device and try again”.
Why is My Epson Printer in an Error State?
For those of you who are thinking “my Epson printer is in error state, what could possibly be the reason?”, here we have identified 4 usual causes. Have a look at these.
1. There may be a problem with your software.
2. Your Epson printer may have a hardware issue.
3. Your device may not be turned on or properly connected to your system.
4. There may be jammed bits of paper inside your printer.
5. Using an incorrect ink cartridge for your device is the fifth cause of this problem.
6. Inadequate power supply to your printer can leave it in an error state.
7. Not only outdated but a corrupt printer driver can result in an error state and cause other damages as well.
If you saw the message on your printer, you can read this definitive guide on How to fix Epson printer error state.
Step 1: Check all your connections.
Check the hardware for any loose connections. Check if the main power cable from the power source is properly connected with the printer. Also, check if the wire from the printer is properly connected with the computer.
Remove all wires and clean all the wires to get rid of any dust or particles which might hinder the connection.
If you have a wireless printer, make sure that all the routers and wireless connections are proper.
If you have a network printer, there could be a problem with the network connections. Call your system administrator to ensure that all the wirings are properly inserted.
Once you have made sure that all your wirings are correct, restart your printer. In most cases, this should fix problems right away. If not, follow the next step.
Step 2: Reinstall/Update the Driver.
You might have updated your system to a newer version, or the older printer driver might not be useful right now. So, to know how to fix Epson printer error state, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the driver. You can use the disc which came with the printer to install the driver.
If reinstalling the driver did not fix it, you can try updating the driver. You can go to the Epson’s official website to check for the latest available drivers. Search the website using the model number of your printer. Download the driver that is designed for your printer and install it on your system.
Step 3: Our very own – Windows Troubleshooter.
Using the windows troubleshooter is the last option that you have when it comes to the Epson printer error state. Go to the Device Manager in your system and locate the printer option. Expand the printer option and search for your printer.
Right-click on your printer on your PC and click on Troubleshoot. This will open up the Troubleshooter which will look for possible solutions to the printer error state. The windows Troubleshooter is not a very reliable option, but it is worth a try. If none of the above options have worked for you, Windows Troubleshooter will most probably do the trick.
Step 4: If nothing seems to solve the error.
your last and final option is to call the customer support. Go to the official Epson website and search for the nearest service center to your location. Call the service center and describe your problem. The customer care representatives will help you out.
Step 5: Ensure Ink Cartridges are Original
In the section of the causes, we told you that the Epson error state can very well be a result of not using the correct ink cartridges. That is why we will suggest you ensure that the ink cartridges are not only original but also the ones recommended in the Epson printer manual. Not using the original ones will put your device in an error state and may cause further damage over time.
Steps 6 : Check & Remove Printhead Blockage
Your Epson printer can be in an error state due to printhead blockage. So, you should check the printhead of your device for any such blockage and remove it. We have provided 10 steps to check and remove the printhead blockage easily.
1. Turn off your Epson printer. It must be devoid of any power source.
2. Open the printer cover to access the printhead.
3. Slide the printhead towards the left.
4. Turn on your printer to print a test page and observe the colours that seem to be affected.
5. Then select “Tools” from the Control Panel of your Epson device.
6. Select the option of “Print quality”.
7. You may be prompted by the errors in the print quality report. Resolve these and press “Ok”.
8. Then open the “Menu”, select “Settings”, and press “Ok”.
9. From the “Tools” menu, select “Clean printhead” and press “Ok”.
10. The cleaning process will take some time. Afterwards, you can use your device normally.
How to Fix Epson Printer in Error State in Windows 10?
If the error state of your Epson printer is bothering you on your Windows 10 system, then we know 8 solutions to get rid of the problem too soon. Scroll down and see what these solutions are.
Fix 1: Resolve Hardware Problems
Hardware problems can make an easy way for the Epson printer in error state Windows 10. We have 4 expert tips to help you prevent hardware problems.
1. A proper connection must be established between your Epson printer’s power cord and the electrical board.
2. Ensure that the USB cable is working and is properly connected to your Windows 10 system.
3. In case of a wireless Epson printer, the wireless network connection must be proper.
4. Always print a blank page to see that your device is working properly.
Fix 2: Check Printer Connection & Restart
This solution involves checking a proper printer connection and then restarting it. When the Epson printer has been connected properly to your Windows 10 system, there will be no physical problem with the connection. Once you are sure that there is no issue with the connection, restart your printer. This procedure is really short.
1. Turn off your Epson device.
2. Check the trays for any pieces of jammed paper.
3. Also, see that the ink levels are not low.
4. Now, turn on the device.
Fix 3: Inspect Epson Printer for Jammed Paper
Unexpected but possible, if your Epson printer is in an error state Windows 10, a paper jam could be turning it up. Therefore, checking your printing device for jammed paper bits will be a suitable approach. Here we have shown how to check and remove jammed paper from the Epson printer in 8 steps.
1. Plug out your Epson printer.
2. Ensure that the paper tray has no loose paper.
3. Now, remove the paper roller of your device.
4. Clean the paper roller gently with a clean cotton cloth and place it back.
5. Access the printhead of your Epson printer.
6. Move it towards the left and check that it moves without any obstructions.
7. Now, plug in your device and then restart it.
8. Print a test page to see that there is no jammed paper within.
Fix 4: Reboot Epson Printer and Windows 10 Computer
When you are using a Windows 10 computer and your Epson printer lands in an error state, rebooting can help resolve the trouble. You can learn how to perform this solution in 6 steps.
1. Stop all the printing tasks from your computer
2. Shut down your Windows 10 system.
3. Cancel the printing tasks on your Epson printer and turn it off.
4. Now, reboot your system.
5. Also, power on your printing device.
6. Your printer will be out of the error state. Use it as usual.
FIx 5: Update Epson Printer Driver on Windows 10
Does your Windows 10 system have an updated Epson printer driver? An outdated driver can be a good cause for your printer in the error state. Thankfully, installing the latest version of the Epson printer driver on your system can save you. While your Windows 10 system will automatically check for the latest Epson printer driver version, you can check it manually too. The steps for this have been mentioned below.
1. Open the Windows “Desktop”.
2. Then in the Windows taskbar, you have to right-click the product icon.
3. Now, click on “Software Update”.
4. In the printer settings window, access the “Utility” tab.
5. Click on “Driver update”.
Fix 6: Reinstall Epson Printer Driver on Windows 10
For those of you who have an updated Epson printer driver on Windows 10, your device may still get into the error state. For this reason, you can reinstall the Epson printer driver on your system. Learn how to reinstall the driver for your printer in error state Epson Windows 10 with this set of instructions.
1. Open the “Settings” on your Windows 10 computer.
2. Tap on “Devices” and then click on “Printers & Scanners”.
3. Select your Epson printer under the section “Printers & Scanners” and press the button “Remove device”. Then click on “Yes” to confirm.
4. Now, ensure that your Epson printer is on and connected to your system.
5. Open the “Settings” on your computer.
6. Click on “Devices”, then select “Printers & Scanners”, and tap “Add a printer or scanner”.
7. Choose “Add device” if you can see your Epson printer in the window. The driver will be installed by Windows.
8. If you can’t see your Epson printer in the window, choose “The printer that I want isn’t listed”. Then select “Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings” and click on “Next”.
9. Choose “Use an existing port”.
10. Choose USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB) from the dropdown list on the right and click on “Next”.
11. Go to the “Manufacturer” column and choose “EPSON”.
12. Select your device from the “Printers” column. If you can’t see your device, choose “Windows update”. When the list of printers has been updated, choose “Epson” from the “Manufacturer” column and your device from the “Printers” column.
13. Now click on “Next”.
14. Fill in the printer name and again click on “Next”.
15. Click on “Do not share this printer” and tap “Next”.
16. Click on “Print a test page”.
17. Finally, choose “Close” and press “Finish”.
Fix 7: Restart Epson Printer and Windows 10 Computer
While you may already know how to restart your Epson printer and Windows 10 computer, here we have listed the step-by-step procedure to help you perform this solution correctly.
1. Close the printing tasks.
2. Check that there are no tasks in the print queue.
3. Turn off your Windows 10 system and the printer.
4. Now, restart your Windows 10 computer and the printer.
5. Print a test page to ensure that the problem has been fixed.
Fix 8: Install Windows 10 Update
The Epson printer in error state can be fixed by installing the updates available for Windows OS. Know how to check for the available updates for your Windows 10 system in 6 quick steps.
1. Open the “Start” menu on your Windows 10 system.
2. Next, open the “Settings”.
3. The third step is to go to the “Update & Security” settings.
4. Then click on “Windows update”.
5. Now, tap on “Check” for the “Updates” button.
6. Any updates available for your Windows 10 system will be installed now.
Wrapping it up
Printing problems like these can spring up every now and then. Knowing their solutions is the only tactic to deal with them.