If you Google something like “How to connect AirPods to Android”, you are probably well-aware of how good these earbuds are. Apple’s “magic” makes AirPods insanely convenient when paired with iPhone, iPad, or Mac, but these earbuds also work with Android. There are many different true wireless earbuds from different manufacturers (Samsung’s Buds+ and Buds Pro are among the best) but if you want to “taste an Apple”, this article will tell you how to connect AirPods to Android.
How to Connect AirPods to Samsung?
Although we mentioned Samsung in the headline, this article applies to any modern Android smartphone. Before you try to pair AirPods with Android, pay attention to some important things.
First, some features are available on iOS devices only or require third-party apps. For example, without third-party software, you cannot check the battery status or use voice assistant commands. If you are going to use AirPods with Android, make sure to download some third-party apps, like MaterialPods, or AndroPods. The latter simulates the experience you may find when using AirPods paired with an iPhone and supports play/pause when you put off an earbud.
Second, AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max charge via a Lightning cable, so your USB-C cables will not do the job for you. But the good thing is that you can wirelessly charge AirPods (second-gen) and AirPods Pro.
Third, you cannot update your AirPods firmware when earbuds paired with Samsung or any other smartphone. This means you may end up missing some new features. For example, spatial audio on AirPods Pro is not available when you connect AirPods to Android.
Fourth, you cannot quickly switch between devices if you pair AirPods with Android. You can easily jump between iPhone, iPad, and Mac without any hassle, but on Android, you will have to disconnect and reconnect AirPods every time you switch a device. Again, this is where other earbuds take over AirPods. Many manufacturers offer multi-device support with built-in profiles for different devices. For example, Sony WH-1000MX3.
Connecting AirPods to Android
Now, let us tell you how to pair AirPods with Android. This manual applies to both regular AirPods (first and second-gen) and AirPods Pro.
- Make sure your AirPods are charged and placed in a charging case.
- Make sure you have Bluetooth enabled on your smartphone.
- Locate a small button at the backside of a charging case (this applies to both AirPods and AirPods Pro). Press and hold this button until the LED indicator starts flashing. This means AirPods are ready to connect to Android.
- On your Android smartphone, go to Settings – Bluetooth and press a button to add a new device.
- Wait until your AirPods show up in the list of available devices and tap to connect AirPods to Android. After you do this, your smartphone should report a successful pairing.
Now, AirPods are ready to work with your Android smartphone.