There are many internet users who have reported that they are noticing a red screen virus alert on their browser while searching online. This is not for a particular browser or a particular Windows version. Because we have got complaints from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox users on Windows 7,8,8.1,10.
When the users encounter this pop-up error messages, it can lock your system on a temporary basis. So, it restricts you from using the internet as well as your system. Thus, if you come across this error, then it is important to overcome it as soon as possible.
What Program Causes the New Screen
But these alerts are all fake. All the browsers get affected by these Tech Support Scams. Because no Operating System will launch a security alert on your browser when your system encounters any malware attack.
The scammers use a particular domain that can’t be distinguished by anti-malvertising shields. Or they can hack a high-profile website to show these alerts. But these red screen virus alerts are really annoying and we need to remove them at the earliest possible.
Quick Fixes to Remove Red Screen Virus Alert:
As we have already mentioned that this is not malware or spyware, so we need not go for the actual virus removal procedure. Let’s see what can be done to block these pop-ups.
Fix 1: Killing the Task through Task Manager
Whenever you notice such a red screen virus alert, please don’t listen to the on-page instructions. Following this way can redirect you to some other page or lock up your system for some time. You can escape from the alert by following the steps cited below.
- Check one of the checkboxes among “Don’t let this page create more messages” or “Prevent this page from creating additional dialogues”. Also, make sure that you won’t redirect to any other page.
- Go for Ok or “Back to safety”.
- Press and hold the combination of keys: Ctrl+Shift+Esc. This will launch the Task Manager on your system. Go the tab of Process.
- Right-click on your browser and choose End Task.
If you are using Edge, then you have to launch your browser by using Cortana. This ensures that your browser won’t open the scam pages again.
Fix 2: Uninstalling Critical Error Scam from Windows
Windows versions from Windows XP to Windows 10 can suffer from red screen virus alerts. We can uninstall those suspicious programs from Windows. Let’s see how we can do this.
- Press and hold Win+R simultaneously. This activity will launch the Run windows.
- Type “appwiz.cpl” and hit Enter. This will open the list comprising all the installed applications in the Windows PC.
- Choose that particular suspicious application. Just click on the Uninstall button.
This will uninstall that particular program. Check if you can notice the red screen virus alert anymore.
Fix 3: Cleaning Registries
Usually, there are two main registries that can get affected by this error scam and they are
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion. Let’s move to the process.
- Open Run Windows. Type “regedit” and press Enter.
- Open those two registries and go for Run and RunOnce keys, one-by-one.
- You can eliminate the virus you suspect. Right-click on it and modify its value.
Launch your browser and check if the error persists.
We have discussed the general solutions to get rid of the red screen virus alert. Hopefully, this post helps you. If you are still dealing with the problem, then please post your comments in the comment section below with all the details.
It will be easier for us to reach you and solve the problem according to your PC’s specifications.